- What can this site do?
- How to find a person in the universal genealogy tree?
- How to become a member?
- How to add new entries in the database?
- How to change your member information?
- What is behind Genealogus?
- How can I support the Genealogus project?
- Other questions?
What can this site do?
This site is still under development. However, most of the following functions are available now:
Genealogus stores the following genealogic data:
- First and last name
- Father and Mother (they must be in the database too)
- Date and place of birth
- Date and place of death
- Children (they are linked to their parents through their individual record)
- Marriages and unions
- Search of genealogy data of a person with his names and sex.
- Dynamic record browsing through hyperlinks on parents, children and partners.
- Graphical representation (GIF format) of individual genealogy trees on four generations for viewing or printing (300 dpi).
- Addition of new persons and establishment of links with exsisting records (member access only)
- Tool to find to closest common ancestor between two persons (future development).
- Tool to count the number of descendant of a person (future developemnt).
- Tool to import and export GEDCOM compatible files (future development).
How to find in person in the universal genealogy tree?
- Click on "Search" in the menu pane on the left.
- Type in selection criteria. Names may consist of partial groups of letters.
- Click on the "Search" button.
- Results will appear in the list box on the right. Select a name and click on the "Show" button to display the record.
How to become a member?
- First, click on "Register" in the navigation bar at the left of the screen.
- A message showing the advantages of becoming a member is displayed. You are then directed to read the "Sites's Rules".
- Read the rules carefully, especially the rules applying to members, and click "Agree" or "Reject" to accect or decline the rules. Please note that you acceptation is required to become a member.
- Following you acceptation of the rules, you are asked to provide information about yourself:
- Lastname and firstname: Please no nickname
- E-mail: A valid e-mail address is required since your password will be sent to this address.
- User name: A short name (no space) to identify yourself to the system. If the name is already taken, you will be asked to provide another one.
- Click on OK to confirm your membership.
- A message then tells you that a e-mail has been sent to you with your password. Please click on "Continue" and check you mailbox. You should receive it within 30 minutes. If not, please try again.
Advice: The password that will be sent to you is genearated automatically and may be very difficult to remember. It is a good idea to change it to something meaningful to you. Please read How to change you member information?.
How can I add new entries to the database?
To add new persons in the global family tree, you must first become a member. See How to become a member above.
Now, here is how to proceed:
- First of all, check that the new person you want to add in not already in the database. See How to find a person in the universal family tree? above.
- If this is not already the case, enter in the member area by clicking on "Member Access" on the left.
- Now, click "Add" in the navigation bar.
A form is then displayed, asking you for information about the person you want to add such as:
- Lastname and firstname: Always use the family name at birth. Some use a firstname that is different from their official firstname; we suggest to put the official name followed by the other name in parenthesis. Please capitalise the first letter of names and leave other letters in lower case.
- Sex: Sex can be Female (F), Male (M) or Unknown (don't laugh, it does happen that you know a child is born and you do not know the sex).
- Father and mother: Click on "Choose" to locate the father and mother in the database. If you know them, but they are not in the system, click "Not Found" in the search form and you will have an opportunity to add their name.
- Dates et places of birth and death: Si you are not sure of the date, do not hesitate to use the approximative date format:
- When everything is completed, click on "Accept.
- Check the information and if there are mistakes, click on "Modify" to correct.
How to change your member information?
- Enter the restricted area by clicking on "Member Access" in the navigation bar at the left of the screen. You will be asked to produce your user name and password
- Click on "My Profile"
- Update your information. Do not forget to enter your password. Indicate a new password only if you want to change it.
- Clik "Accept".
What is behind Genealogus?
Genealogus is relying on a Virtual Private Server (VPS hosted with VPSville in Toronto, Ontario. The server is running on Linux with the Web server Apache. Dynamic web pages are handled through PHP and data management is ensured by the database server Firebird.
Linux, Apache, PHP and Firebird are Open Source softwares developed and/or maintained by the internet community and offered free of charge to all.
How can I support the Genealogus project?
If you like Genealogus and you want to do more to help the project that providing family information, there are many ways you can contribute:
The project being still in development, there is room for improvement and I would be delighted to receive your suggestions. Please send you comments at firstname.lastname@example.org
Help covering the expenses of running Genealogus
I developed Genealogus on my free time and provide it to the internet community free of charge. Nevertheless, there are some fix cost I must assume to run the site.
Yearly cost Item Cost (CDN$) Web hosting
(VPSville Town package)
360 Domain name registration
(WebDomaine-A.R.C. Informatique inc.)
- Search engines registration
- Business cards
- Other promotional material
(Estimated if contract out was required)
1000 Total=> 1810
If you like Genealogus and think it's worth supporting it financially, I would appreciate it. All money will be directed to the support of Genealogus. You can send a cheque or money order to the amount of your choice to:
130, de la Barre #220
Canada J4K 1A4
Contribute your technical or artistic skills
You are very knowledgeable in genealogy (I'm not) and can add valuable content to the site? You program in PHP and know SQL databases and you would like to implement the new features of Genealogus? You have artistic talent and have ideas to improve the look of the site? These are all areas where help would be welcome. Please let me know about the areas where you think you can contribute by sending a email at: email@example.com
You have problems? Things are not the way you think they should be? You want to know a little bit more that what is written here? Please do not hesitate to let me know your questions: firstname.lastname@example.org